Your course content
What you will learn
In the BA Photography you will learn how pictures work and what they can achieve. You will learn how to design and stage information using analogue and digital image recording techniques. With artistic freedom you will be able to explore all possibilities of image design and find your own style. You will work on your own projects and learn how to handle customer orders professionally. The content of your studies will include advertising photography, press photography and photojournalism, artistic photography, product and documentary photography.
Your career prospects
Our innovative approach that pays off
Upon completion of your studies, you will have mastered a wide variety of forms of photographic image design and possess extensive methodical, strategic and conceptual media skills.
You will work, for example, in the applied field of portrait, fashion, editorial, advertising, product or reportage photography.
Further professional fields arise within the new image media (Computer Generated Imagery, Stereo3D, 360 x 180°, Virtual & Augmented Reality) or in the areas of curation and image editing as well as in artistic photography.
In addition, with a Bachelor of Arts degree you have access to numerous postgraduate and master's courses in Germany and abroad.
Virtual Open House | Berlin, Hamburg, Dresden
13 February 2021, 10 am - 3 pm (CET) | Get to know our professors and our team from home and take part in lectures and workshops. Sign up now!
Event SRH Berlin Virtual Info Session - SPECIAL Design & Communication programmes
We're inviting you to get to know our university and our Design & Communication programmes! Our study advisor will tell you everything you need to know and guide you through the whole process.Event
Event SRH Virtual Open House
by SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences. We have an exciting programme prepared for you. Get to know our president, professors, our team and take part in lectures and workshops. We are looking forward to seeing you.Event
Study Plan BA Photography Your curriculum
First Semester (Studium Generale)
- Basics of Photography 5
- Typography I 5
- Programme Theory 5
- Communication Sciences / Media Theory 5
- Cross-Media Design I 5
- Presentation and Design Methodology 5
- Applied Photography I (Portrait and Fashion Photography) 5
- Typography II 5
- Image Media I (CGI) 5
- Communication Strategy 5
- Cross-Media Design II 5
- Transdisciplinary Offer I 5
- Applied Photography II (Documentary Photography) 5
- Editorial Design I 5
- Image Media II (3D Photography) 5
- Economics 5
- Cross-Media Design III 5
- Transdisciplinary Offer II 5
Mobility Phase / Practical phase
- Artistic Photography I 5
- Exhibition Design 5
- Image Media III (360° Panorama Photography / CGI) 5
- Discourses in Photography I 5
- Cross-Media Design IV 5
- Transdisciplinary Offer III 5
- Artistic Photography II 5
- Excursion Photography 5
- Image Media IV (VR/ AR 5
- Discourses of Photography II 5
- Cross-Media Design V 5
- Transdisciplinary Offer IV 5
- Applied Photography III 5
- Editorial Design II 5
- Foundation / Ethics 5
- Scientific Colloquium 5
- Bachelor's Thesis 10
Chat with our students.
Do you want first-hand information? Our students are happy to share their experiences with you, tell you about their courses, their projects and student life in Berlin, Hamburg and Dresden.
Full-Flex Offer | For international students only
Are you worried that Covid-19 might affect your academic future? Are you facing visa delays and travel restrictions? Take advantage of our offer to start your studies in April 2021 in virtual format and receive a reward!
Your lecturers We help you achieve your goals
Admission requirements vary according to the educational background and citizenship of all applicants. Our admission requirements are in accordance with German legal stipulations.
The basic requirements are:
- General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) or university of applied sciences entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife)
- Portfolio with approx. 15-20 creative works*
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Copy of your identity card or passport
*Convince us with your talent: we are looking forward to assessing your portfolio with about 15-20 of your own creative works. You can upload the portfolio together with your application, send it to us or simply bring it to a personal interview.
Admission requirements in detail
Here are the English requirements you should bring along:
- Duolingo 95 points
- TOEFL 87 ibt (direct recording)
- TOEFL 79 - 86 ibt (with additional agreement)
- TOEIC 785 (Listening/Reading 785, Speaking 160, Writing 150)
- IELTS (academic) 6.5 average - deviations from this rule are governed by the current version of the Language Centre's guidelines
- CAE (grade A, B, or C)
- CPE (grade A, B or C)
- FCE (grade A, B or C)
- Pearson English Test Academic (PTE-A) 59 points
Fees and Funding
Your tuition fees
As a state-recognised, private university, the SRH Berlin University is financed by tuition fees. This revenue goes towards equipping our campus, providing services for our students, and quality assurance. In this way we ensure that you receive the best possible education under optimal study conditions.
Tuition fees (per month or semester)
- €650 / month (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Switzerland, Western Balkans)
- €4,500 / semester (Citizenship Non-EU/Non-EEA)
Enrolment Fee (once)
- €500 (Citizenship EU/EEA incl. Western Balkans, Switzerland)
- €900 (Citizenship Non-EU/Non-EEA)
Funding in detail
Application process and deadlines
We look forward to getting to know you. This is our application process:
- You apply online at our SRH Application Portal
- If you meet the admission requirements, we will invite you to a selection interview
- If the interview is successful, you will receive the acceptance letter and the study contract
- You sign the study contract and send it back to us
- You pay the registration fee (all students) and possibly the 3-month deposit (non-EU/EEA students only)
- We will prepare your letter of admission for you
- You take part in our introductory week and then it begins!
Get started now Your path into the future
- You will take part in a step-by-step learning experience
- You will study in small teams through practice-oriented tasks
- You can concentrate on what is important in 5-week blocks
- You will receive individual support from your lecturers